These were a surprise for two people.
First, they were for my very successful sister, Holly. See in our family, even though two of us have food blogs, we don’t like to cook on Holidays and when we cook it always seem to end up one of two ways:
- We cook about 900000 dishes so that everyone has something they like.
- Someone ends up eating almost nothing because there isn’t anything they like (usually Holly – Little Ms. Cranberry Sauce).
So a few years back we started going to this restaurant Texas de Brazil, and they have these rolls… oh these rolls…. they are so amazing. And we always tease Holly because she eats approximately 8930594758 of them. So I searched high and low for a recipe. and I found a lot but all of them used parmesean cheese and I wanted cheddar. I tried just substituting cheddar for parmesean and it was… just okay. Not as awesome as the other ones. So I combined a few recipes and made my own. For her.
Now these are also a surprise for my friend Hope because she has Celiac and these are GLUTEN FREE. And I also wanted to make something to thank her for taking me to Charleston for Spring Break (I know!). So instead of making more “Yay, more salad!” jokes, I made a recipe that uses Tapioca Flour, which is gluten free.
A recipe that s a gift for two people? I know. I’ve already put in my application for Sainthood, so no need to do it for me.
So here’s what you need:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour (don’t use other kinds of flour it isn’t the same)
- 2 tsp salt (I used iodized sea salt)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese.
Here’s what you do:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- If your muffin pan is not non-stick, spray it.
- Put everything but the cheese in a blender and let her rip. Blend until smooth.
- Add the cheese, and pulse until there are no more lumps of cheese.
- Pour into muffin tin, filling each section about 3/4 of the way full.
- Put in the oven and cook for 15 – 20 minutes (closer to 15, is better, I find)
- EAT THEMMMMMMM.